There is always a high demand for car mechanics these days as people are purchasing personal vehicles like never before. There is also a huge demand for diesel cars, and these vehicles have a different maintenance system than petrol cars. The diesel mechanic is responsible for the maintenance and repair of diesel-powered automobiles.
If you own a garage, you will know how crucial it is to recruit the most efficient technicians. Experienced mechanics can do the job flawlessly to satisfy the clients. A diesel mechanic is not the same as a petrol car mechanic, and the usability of the diesel car is also much different. So, you need to check out all major aspects of the diesel mechanic and how many works or assignments related to the diesel car he has done, to understand whether to hire him or not.
Responsibilities of the mechanic:
The diesel mechanic has to perform the diagnostic tests, analyze the results of the examination, and maintain the inventory of parts. When a candidate appears for the interview, notice the fitness level of the person and the interpersonal skills that matter a lot in the car servicing industry.
1. What is the most important skill that you need in this industry?
It will be the portrayal of the analytical mindset of a potential diesel mechanic. You can apprehend whether the person is able to decipher all the technical documentation, such as the instruction manuals and design blueprints, to begin with.
- Analyzing the state of the car is the most crucial part of the job.
- Finding the solution to all the glitches abiding by the technical limitations of the particular model or brand is also equally important.
2. What are your skills?
Unless you review the skills and qualifications of the candidates, it will not be easy to filter out the right candidates. You must be looking for someone who:
- Possesses at least five years or more experience as a diesel mechanic. Holds diesel certification and valid license.
- Ability to lift at least 150 pounds weight.
- The mechanic must know how to deal with heavy cars and how to work on the fuel consumption cost benefits
If the mechanic has a website, then it is always better to check out the reviews and go for hiring
- Zeal to solve problems in the least time.
3. Do you know how to recondition a diesel engine?
You need to ask the mechanic how many times he has reconditioned the engine. Along with that, there is also a need to check is there any warranty on the work done, so that the car’s on-road performance is enhanced.
- Replacement or repair of the pistons
- Repairing the valves
- Repairing or replacing the bearings
4. Have you ever solved any problems using new technology?
And here lies the chance of coming across an innovative diesel mechanic who believes in the implementation of the latest technology for troubleshooting. It is a great way to assess the talent of the candidate by learning about the situation and how the person managed to solve the problem combining conventional and unique tactics to repair the car and it is still running in good condition.
5. Do you have unhappy clients?
It is important for a candidate to acknowledge self- mistakes and maintain honesty at work. Now comes the part where the diesel mechanic owned the mistake, rectified it, and satisfied the same customer through interpersonal skills and technical efficiency.
If you get all positive replies for the above five questions, you can shortlist the candidate for the final round. The best part is that you need to check out the cost aspect first so that later, there is no confusion regarding the payment or anything else.