The world has never seen a more powerful and timely form of mobile marketing. Think about it – people bring their cell phones everywhere. Not only do more than 200 million people in the United States receive and send text messages, but the rate at which these text messages are read is 90 percent, which is much higher than what you’d find with more traditional forms of communication open to marketing. And then, of course, there is a price. Text marketing can actually save your business money on its marketing budget while increasing your reach, response rate, and overall return.
But before you start texting your customers, you need to learn the five essential parts of a successful text marketing campaign.
- Set one clear goal: Before creating your text message marketing campaign, you must have a clear goal in mind. Having a clear goal will not only help you identify indicators of your success, but also give you an easier way to develop your text message.
- Set up one simple message: Your text message is limited to 160 characters. This means that you must stay on track and create an accurate but effective message that gives your readers a clear call to action. To do this effectively, you must give your readers three things:
For example, let’s say you wanted to get more people into your business for mini golf on Saturday. You can create a message like:
Boring? Come play a round, get a second for free!
Now you’ve introduced a problem: boredom; I offered an obvious and easy solution: Come and play mini golf; And she made a batch: buy one, get the second free!
- Stand out from the crowd: As with any other marketing option, you will face stiff competition when you send your text messages, so it would be risky to sacrifice individuality for the sake of brevity. Instead, use the platform’s word count to help you get more creative about the messages you’re sending.
- Take advantage of what makes you different: If every business was the same as its competitors, there would be no good reason to own more than one business in each industry. When creating a mobile marketing campaign, focus on the aspects that make you different and factor them into your offers and messages.
- Leverage the immediacy of the platform: One of the most powerful aspects of text messaging marketing is its immediacy, which can help you find an opportunity in tough times. Use local and global news and events to craft your sales and messaging. For example, let’s look at a restaurant that offers a delivery service within a 10-mile radius. When a sudden storm hits the area, and public transportation is limited, a restaurant can use the event to remind its local customers that they offer delivery. You can read a sample message:
Don’t let a little snow make you hungry. We offer free delivery if you order within the next 2 hours!