In the time of the pandemic, we are understanding the value of health care service providers and how the health care department of a country serves as a pillar of support for the welfare of a country. But before we dive into the topic we must understand what is health care? Health care refers to the maintenance and betterment of health through the cure of any kind of mental or physical disease or injury via prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and recovery. Keeping in mind the sluggish lifestyle of people these days, diseases related to heart and diabetes is very common, so much so that one person dies every 36 seconds in the United States from disease related to heart, and that is a lot. Hence to combat these diseases and to save as many lives as possible, we would need a huge army of well-trained health care service providers, and to do so good courses in health are to be provided in each country’s education system. Courses in health are medical courses included in a number of specializations like biomedical sciences, medical, pharmacy, fitness, and so on. There are various courses in health offered in these specializations, and they are discussed as follows-
Courses in biomedicine
Biomedicine studies the theoretical part of medicines, to put natural and biological science concepts into experimental practices. Biomedicine masters and biomedicine bachelors gather information from related disciplines like zoology, anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, physiology, botany, pathology, chemistry, and biology. There are under-graduate and postgraduate courses and Ph.D. in biomedicines, which cover subjects like:
- Medical Microbiology.
- Principles of Genetics.
- Medicinal Chemistry.
- Human Physiology and Anatomy.
- Cell and Radiation Biology.
These are some of the subjects you can study in biomedicine courses.
Public health is a discipline that focuses on bettering global health. Public health specialists make use of the latest education, public policies, and research to ensure that people all over the world stay well and healthy. It focuses on combating epidemics, food poisoning and water poisoning, and other health risks that can risk global health. Covid-19 is one of the problems that public health tackles. The courses in public health available for students who have a bachelor’s degree in any health care course. The subjects you will be studying in the course will be of:
- Social and Behavioural Aspects Of Health
- Communicable and Non-Communicable Disease Program
- Health Promotion and Behaviour change communication
- Health Economic and Healthcare Financing
- Health Program Management
- Environmental health and sustainable development
- Research methods and Data management
And many more subjects.
Pharmacy is a discipline that deals with the methods of preparing and distributing drugs for various illnesses. Students who are in this department learn to differentiate between types of drugs and how they affect the human body and mind how drugs react when mixed. There are courses in pharmacy like –
- D.Pharm. (Diploma in Pharmacy)
- Diploma in Veterinary Pharmacy
- Diploma in Pharmaceutical Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Herbal Products
- Post Graduate Diploma in Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance
- Post Graduate Diploma in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Post Graduate Diploma in Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Pharmacy in Honours
- Bachelor of Pharmacy in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Bachelor of Pharmacy + Master of Business Administration
And the subjects that are covered in such courses are-
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Pharmaceutical Analysis I
- Pharmaceutical Inorganic Chemistry
- Communication skills
- Remedial Mathematics
And many related subjects.
Physiotherapy is an interdisciplinary branch and subject of health and medicines. The students who take this course learn how to heal and help people with physical deformities and impairments. They learn subjects related to psychology and reflexology, they use this informative knowledge to advise patients which exercise to do, to improve their overall quality of lifestyle. They have courses like –
- Bachelor of Physio / Physical Therapy
- B.Sc in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
- M.D. in Physiotherapy
- M.D. in Physiotherapy
- PG Diploma in Sports Physiotherapy
- Ph.D. in Physiotherapy
These courses cover subjects like-
- General Anatomy
- General Physiology
- Computer Training
- Physiotherapy in Medical Conditions
- Physiotherapy in Surgical Conditions
And so on.
Veterinary medicine is a discipline of health care science that deals with the healthcare of animals, including pets, cattle, food animals, and wild animals so on. This field covers the prevention, diagnosis, and therapy of animal’s illnesses and diseases. Students of this discipline usually specialize in certain fields such as dentistry and physiotherapy. The courses in this field are as follows-
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- BVSc in Animal Genetics and Breeding
- BVSc in Ph.D. in Veterinary Pharmacology
- MVSc in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology
- Ph.D. in Veterinary Pathology
- Ph.D. in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
And subject covered are-
- Veterinary Parasitology.
- Veterinary Microbiology.
- Veterinary Pathology.
- Veterinary Public Health and Epidemiology.
- Veterinary Physiology and Biochemistry.
And so on.
Hence, courses in health are many, and a student can choose whichever course suits his or her ability and interest.