With all the additional stress that the current lockdown is causing more of our patients are telling us about the headaches they are suffering from. Tension headaches are the most common type of headache but the good news is that taking simple steps can help reduce their impact on your life. Here at our osteopath cambridge Clinic we can help assess your case and offer effective and tailored treatment and advice to help you get long lasting relief from your headaches.
Tension Headaches: What are they? Symptoms can vary between individuals but often include:
- A feeling or a band of tightness across the head.
- Pain spreading from the neck or base of the skull up into the head.
- Often worse on one side of the head
- The headaches typically last for a few hours but can be more persistent.
Tension Headaches: What causes them? The causes are not always clear but commonly include:
- Poor posture and desk/computer work
- Muscle and joint problems in the neck, back and shoulders.
- General stress which leads to tight muscles in the neck and shoulders.
- Dehydration and low blood sugar levels.
- Changes in eyesight causing overworked muscles.
Tension Headaches: How to beat them
- Good Desk Setup: Make sure your desk is setup well with a supportive chair and good desk and monitor and height. Take regular breaks from sitting. Ideally every 30 mins.
- Simple Neck Stretch: Keep your upper back moving by linking your fingers behind your neck, bringing your elbows together and making small circles with them for 30-60 seconds.
- Functional Back Exercise: Stand up and let your arms gently swing from left to right for 30 seconds so that your neck and shoulders are loosened up.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water and don’t skip meals.
- Keep Active: Take a 30 minute walk at lunchtime. It will help reduce stress and get your muscles and joints moving.
How can Osteopathy help?
At our Cambridge Osteopath clinic at the Frank Lee Centre we can assess your posture. We can help treat your neck pain and headache treatment cambridge. We can improve the movement and alignment of you spinal joints and release tension in tight neck, back and shoulder muscles. We can help you achieve better posture and avoid tension headaches.
To find out how you can beat your tension headaches book your appointment with us at Vivos Osteopathy today.
Call: 07582 128662