We spend hours a day with our faces pressed up against our pillows, so it’s important to understand the way to keep them clean! If you haven’t switched to memory foam pillows yet, here’s a statistic which will have you ever reaching for the hand sanitizer…up to a 3rd of the load of a standard pillow might be made from dead skin, dust mites, and mud mite feces. Gross! If you’ve already converted to memory foam, you’ll breathe a sigh of relief. Literally. Dust mites — which may cause sneezing and coughing — thrive in traditional mattresses and pillows. But while these tiny arachnid-looking creatures can survive the surface of memory foam, they can’t burrow into the stuffing. So if you don’t have a memory foam mattress yet — consider making the switch! albeit you’ve already invested in memory foam, it’s still important to stay it clean. As our pillow spends tons of your time next to our face, it can become a refuge for the nasty bacteria that we inherit contact with throughout the day.
You should vacuum your memory foam pillow whenever you modify your bed sheets, which ideally is once every week . Consider spot cleaning your pillow once a month to get rid of sweat residue, and deep cleaning it every two months. Before you begin , familiarize yourself with the principles of cleaning memory foam!
- Memory foam never goes within the washer or dryer, so always clean by hand.
- Don’t scrub the pillow too hard or treat it too roughly; memory foam is delicate.
- Always use gentle cleaning agents; stand back from anything too harsh.
Here are five ways to stay your pillow area spotless!
Practice Good Pillow Hygiene
Before we get into the nitty gritty of cleaning your pillow, we’ve to ask — does one practice good pillow hygiene? Dirt, grease, pollutants and other bacteria can build abreast of your pillowcase quicker than you would possibly think. If you’re susceptible to breakouts, try switching your pillowcases daily or every two days to ascertain if you notice a difference. If you can’t stand the thought of adjusting your pillowcase a day , experts recommend changing your pillowcase once every week at the very minimum.
How To Clean A Spill
Did your cup of chamomile tea find yourself everywhere your pillow? Most liquid stains are often easily removed with the subsequent method. except for tougher stains — like blood or wine, skip right down to the spot cleaning method.
Remove pillow case.
Use a towel to soak up any excess liquid.
Mix a light dish detergent with water until it reaches a bubbly consistency, then dip the sponge within the soapy solution. Gently rub the spill with a circular motion until clean.
Allow your pillow to air dry, or speed up drying with a hand blower .
How To Deodorize A Memory Foam Pillow
Is your king size memory foam pillow with cooling gel brand new? it’d smell funny thanks to off-gassing. Off-gassing is common in memory foam products, and it’s the results of a harmless gas build up during the packaging process. If the smell bothers you, let your memory foam pillow air off outdoors or near an open window! If your pillow is sporting strange smells for an additional reason, here’s the way to eradicate a weird odor from your pillow!
- begin the pillowcase and lie your pillow on a flat surface.
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over memory foam pillow and leave in direct sunlight for 2-3 hours
- Use an upholstery attachment and vacuum pillow thoroughly. Upholstery attachments can remove hairs and other almost-invisible detritus which will hold close your pillow.
How To Spot Clean A Memory Foam Pillow
Mild stains can removed with detergent and a sponge, as described in ‘How to wash A Spill.’ But if you’ve got a harder stain to get rid of , like wine or blood, try the subsequent method:
- Remove all of the covers.
[For blood and wine] Apply 3% peroxide on to the stain, blot with a clean cloth until the peroxide has stopped bubbling. Spray with cold water and gently rub until clean with an old toothbrush.[For pet urine] Mix one cup of peroxide , one tsp of white vinegar and two tbsp of bicarbonate of soda and apply to affected area. Leave overnight and repeat if necessary, especially if an odor persists. Blot clean with cold water.
- Allow memory foam pillow to air dry.
How To Wash A Memory Foam Pillow
Do you got to deep clean your memory foam pillow? You can’t put a memory foam pillow within the washer , but it’s still possible to scrub it!
- refill a sink or bathtub with lukewarm water and alittle amount of gentle detergent. you’ll also add a drop of lavender oil if you enjoy the scent!
- Slowly submerge your pillow under the soapy water. Squeeze it to permit the soapy water to penetrate beneath the surface. Repeat twice.
- Drain soapy water and refill with clean water. Squeeze pillow several times, allowing the clean water to scrub away any remaining dirt or soap until the water runs clear.
- Gently squeeze your pillow to get rid of excess water, but don’t twist or rigorously squeeze the froth .
- Leave to air dry, preferably in direct sunlight or outdoors. If neither are available, leave your memory foam pillow under a ceiling fan.
How Often Should I Clean My Memory Foam Pillow?
We’ve covered you ways often you ought to change a pillowcase. But how often does one got to clean the pillow itself? If you or a beloved has recently been sick, it’s an honest idea to deep clean your memory foam pillows. Otherwise, it’s advisable to scrub your pillows every two months. once you change your bed sheets why not sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda on your memory foam pillow and leave it within the sun for a couple of hours while everything else makes the rounds through the washing machine? Frequent vacuuming can suck up nasty dust mites living on the surface. Sunlight and bicarbonate of soda can revive your pillow, absorb smells and leave it feeling fresh!
How Often Should I Replace My Memory Foam Pillow?
A standard, inexpensive polyester pillow should get replaced every six months. A memory foam pillow lasts far longer, but you would possibly be surprised to get that you simply should still replace your memory foam pillows every 18-36 months. Over time, the filling will begin to breakdown — albeit we glance after them! quite ever, we’re putting additional stress on our necks, because of computers and smartphones. lookout of your pillows, and lookout of your neck! Sleep experts recommend employing a firmer pillow on Thursdays and Fridays, when we’re in need of some structured sleep after every week at the office! Now you’ve cleaned your pillows, find out how to wash a memory foam mattress next!