Both MS Outlook and Lotus Notes are popular email client applications among the users. Lotus Notes uses NSF (Notes Storage Facility) file extension to save all the mailbox data and MS Outlook uses PST (Personal Storage Table) file format to store the data. With the changing market trends and business requirements, users want to convert NSF to PST file format. However, it is not possible to access NSF files directly in MS Outlook. So, we will discuss two methods here that will help you with an easy and effortless conversion. We will provide manual and automated NSF to PST Converter solution as well.
Before moving forward, let’s see what are the common reasons that users want to convert lotus notes to Outlook.
What are the Reasons to Convert NSF to PST Format?
There are various reasons to export Lotus Notes to Outlook PST. We have listed some of those reasons below.
- As compared to IBM Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook is Cost-effective.
- Users can easily configure multiple accounts simultaneously in MS Outlook.
- Another reason might be the Job switch as the new working place may use MS Outlook as an email client.
- Microsoft Outlook is more user-friendly than IBM Lotus Notes.
Now let’s move forward and see how users can easily perform the conversion from NSF to PST format. We will discuss two methods in this blog –
- Manual Method
- Third-Party Automated Solution
Manual Method to Convert NSF to PST Format
The Manual technique is a free method of conversion of NSF to PST file format. It is recommended to create a copy of the original file before starting the conversion process as there is always a risk of human errors in manual approach that might lead to any damage or even to severe data loss. Follow these two steps that we have discussed below –
Step 1: Export NSF Files to CSV
- Launch IBM Lotus Notes program
- Click on the File tab
- Go to Open and click on Lotus Notes Application.
- In the Open Application window, click on browse to select the NSF file. Hit Open button
- Now in the File menu, click on the Export
- Enter the File name, Saving type and File location in the Export dialog box.
- Choose Comma Separated Value Format
- Select the options as required in the CSV export dialog box. Click on the OK button
- The data exported will get saved in the defined location.
Step 2: Import CSV File into MS Outlook
Follow the below steps to import the intermediate CSV file to Outlook email client.
- Launch MS Outlook application
- Open the File menu
- Click on the Open & Export option.
- Now click on the Import/Export
- Choose Import from another program or file in the Import and Export Wizard dialog box.
- Click on Next to Continue.
- Select the file type as Comma Separated Values and click on the Next.
- Click on the browse to select the CSV file path.
- Select the folder where you want to save the exported data.
- Click on the Nest button
- Check on the checkbox in Import a file dialog box. Then, click on the finish button.
- The CSV file data is now imported to MS Outlook.
There are several limitations too with the manual method. Some of those limitations we have mentioned below in this blog.
- Complicated and more time-consuming method.
- Huge risk of data loss.
- Selective conversion is not possible
- Only converter one NSF file at a time.
Third-Party Professional Solution to Convert NSF to PST
As there are several limitations using the manual approach to export NSF to PST format. To overcome this issue, users can use one of the best and most reliable NSF to PST Converter by Data Recovery Solutions. The software provides a user-friendly graphical interface and there is no need to have any technical knowledge to run the software. The tool also provides numerous amazing features to simplify user’s conversion.
We have discussed both manual as well as third-party professional methods to convert NSF to PST. We can now conclude that there are various limitations in using the manual approach. So, it is suggested to use the professional NSF to PST Converter expert software which is one of the most trustable and reliable software available.