Both Indian manufacturers and importers of unlicensed frequency-based wireless and Bluetooth devices must receive WPC approval. A separate Import License issued by WPC, as well as ETA may be required to import the product. An ETA may also be applied for by a foreign manufacturer through an Indian importer or any Business Organization in India.
In Simple Way, The Wireless Planning & Coordination Wing (WPC) is part of the Department of Telecommunications, which is part of the Government of India’s Ministry of Communications. The department is in charge of granting amateur radio licenses, allocating frequency spectrum, and controlling the spectrum. Various import companies need WPC approvals in order to add international electronic wireless goods.
As shown below, WPC is divided into three major parts.
- Regulation and Licensing (LR),
- NTG (New Technology Group) and
- Radio Frequency Allocation Standing Advisory Committee (SACFA).
Why is Type Approval Required?
Electronic networks (public or private) are generally designed to transport a specific type of data or information between end users. Any electronic network is made up of a large number of switching points linked by a variety of communication media, such as cable, radio, microwave, or optical-fibre transmission links, and using different techniques for individual or group transmission. In order to meet the requirements of quality, protection, and safety, any equipment connected to this network must comply with national and international signaling and transmission standards. As a result, E quipment Type approval is needed to ensure that Verifying whether the device is connected to an electronic device should not cause any deterioration of its established parameters.
How to Get an Import License
Take these steps to apply for a WPC license:
- Go to WPC and open it in your browser.
- If you already have an account, sign in, or create a new account if you are a first-time user.
- Fill in your login ID, password, and any other necessary information.
- Once you’ve signed up, choose the license you want to apply for and fill out the application.
- Submit all relevant documentation, along with the application and fees, to the WPC office.
- When WPC approves the submission. The license has been issued.
- Import Checklist for Licensed Users
- Downloaded and completed application form from WPC
- A printout of an import license online application.
- A copy of the end-signed user’s purchase order with the Decision Letter/frequency earmarking letter.
- Coof the supplier’s signed invoice to the end-user.
- Copy of WPC’s decision letter/frequency earmarking letter
- The technical literature/specification of the equipment should be provided and should follow the decision letter in terms of the frequency band, control, and so on.
- In the event of a transaction via high sea sales, an agreement between the service provider and an Indian subsidiary is reached.
- A demand draft of Rs.500/- from SBI is needed for each submission.
- Each port of entry should have its own application.
- Information on equipment imported in the previous year, as well as its use.
- Equipment Type Approval granted by WPC or required documentation verifying the equipment’s compliance with ITU/TEC/3GPP/3GPP-2/ETSI/IETF/ANSI/EIA/TIA/IS, etc. must be submitted in the case of GSM/CDMA wireless equipment import.