Vitamin and supplements

A healthy diet, paired with regular exercise is the essence of living a healthy life. Vitamin and supplements are only supposed to bridge the nutritional gap that is a result of lack of exercise and a healthy diet due our busy lifestyles.

Diet, exercise, and consuming essential supplements are the three things that enrich your body with all the required nutrition, besides keeping all the functions of your body in perfect harmony.

Healthy living is the current trend, making the food and beverage industry, along with the vitamin supplements industry competitive enough to make the healthiest products possible. Almost every year, you will find a new “revolutionary product” that has been formulated to help people become healthier in less time and with lesser effort.

Sadly, this has given rise to a problem that did not exist before, overdosing on vitamins by consuming too many supplements. Yes, it’s possible to overdose on vitamins, and this piece aims at educating you around the same. Continue reading to know morearound vitamin overdosing. 

What is Vitamin Overdosing?

Vitamin supplements are recommended to patients suffering from the deficiency of any particular nutrient or vitamin. A person suffering from iron deficiency is prescribed an iron supplement balance out their deficiency. However, once cured of their deficiency, some people continue consuming such supplements, making it a case of vitamin overdosing.

Overdosing will have side effects on the health of the person. The side effects of every vitamin and nutrients are different. For iron overdosing, the person will suffer from joint pain, abdominal pain, hair loss, or even impotence. For a different vitamin such as Vitamin C, the overdosing effects can be diarrhea. Calcium overdosing can lead to dehydration and mood swings.

How to Check if you are Overdosing on Vitamins?

The best way to make sure you are not overdosing on vitamins is only to consume the prescribed dose every day. When it comes to vitamin overdosing, there is not much you need to worry about when you are consuming food or beverages. They are regulated by governmental authorities that will not let these products be unsafe for the public. If you are only consuming one multivitamin a day, you are also out of risk as the amount of vitamins they carry is minimal. They feature many different nutrients which balance each other out, keeping you safe from overdosing.

If you are consuming any medically prescribed vitamin supplement and feel any adverse effect from consuming it, that might be a sign that you are suffering from overdose effects. In such cases, it is essential to inform your doctor of the problem and follow their advice. Some of the vitamin overdose side effects are listed below for you to check yourself:

  • Vitamin A overdose can cause liver damage, bone pain, hair loss, fever, and blurry vision.
  • Vitamin B has different overdose symptoms for the different types of vitamin B supplements. For Vitamin B6, the extreme overdose symptoms are nerve damage. For Vitamin B3, the overdose symptoms can be jaundice and nausea.
  • Vitamin D overdose symptoms are muscle weakness, constipation, and frequent urination.
  • Vitamin E overdose can lead to problems in blood clotting in case of bleeding. This can be serious if not diagnosed quickly.

If you are experiencing these problems, it is wise to consult your doctor to keep your health safe.

How to Keep Yourself Safe from Vitamin Overdose?

Following proper medical advice is the first and foremost rule to keep yourself safe from vitamin overdoses. It is necessary for you to also learn about the vitamin supplements you are consuming to keep your health checked.

There are two types of vitamins, water-soluble ones, and ones that are fat-soluble. These two types work differently on the body of a person. The water-soluble vitamins can be excreted by the body, which reduces the chances of an overdose. Fat-soluble vitamins are a little bit more tricky. Fat-soluble vitamins do not get excreted out by the body. They get stored in the liver and the fatty tissues inside our bodies. These deposits very quickly accumulate inside our bodies, and they are tough to get rid of your body. Some examples of fat-soluble vitamins are Vitamin A, E, K, and D.

If you are consuming the above-mentioned vitamins in the form of supplements. It is of the utmost importance to adhere to the prescribed limits only. Failure to do so can cause lead to overdose symptoms, and yes, believe it or not, a mega overdose can even lead to death for fat-soluble vitamins.

For water-soluble vitamins, the risk is not zero. Even though they do not pose the risk of death, they can still cause very uncomfortable overdosing effects that will disrupt your life. When you overdose on water-soluble vitamins, your body’s mineral storage reacts with the overdosed vitamin, and it can cause overdose symptoms for your body.

Can you overdose on chewable vitamins?

The short answer is no; it is pretty challenging to get overdosed from chewable vitamins. Chewable vitamins or gummy vitamins are marketed towards children to make vitamin intake more accessible to kids. These products have the most negligible amounts of vitamin quantity in them because they are tasty, and a child can get carried away by consuming too many of them.